Are you a battered spouse? What is the right thing to do? Do you want forgiveness from the action or want to process it legally? There is no space for battered spouses in Singapore.
Thus, spouses who experienced such suffering and maltreatment can file a divorce. Get a trustable divorce lawyer in Singapore here.
Importance of grounds for divorce
Some spouses are unaware of the grounds for divorce. So, they chose to keep silent for long years of maltreatment and violence by their spouses. Are these battered spouses should keep silent? Because they are already tied to be together because of the word “marriage”? Well, nobody deserves to experienced violence inside the home, in which a battered spouse can file a divorce.
A divorce lawyer can explain everything about the divorce and the process of this case. Plaintiff can provide pieces of evidence through documentation of these grounds of divorce. There are five main grounds for divorce in Singapore:
- Unreasonable behavior
- 2 years of separation (with consent)
- 2 years of separation (without consent)
Duties of divorce lawyers
The duties of a divorce attorney or lawyer vary depending on the case specifics. Generally, a lawyer is responsible to help the client within the process, from the first meeting to settling matters after finalizing the divorce. The divorce lawyer has these duties:
- Advising on dealing with marital property, credit cards, bank accounts, and other marital assets.
- Assuring on the progress for concerns disputes, stages of a divorce proceeding, and court proceedings.
- Court filing and preparation of all paperwork involved, such as complaint and summons, custody papers, motions, and preparations of the custody orders and final divorce.
- Representation at all court hearings
- Serves as an intermediary in dealing with conflicts during the process of divorce, such as arguments over property and custody disputes.
Division of marital assets and property
A skilled divorce lawyer explains how property is divided when the marriage ends. Every spouse brought the property to the marriage. The other couples accumulated possessions according to the prenuptial or post-nuptial agreements. Experienced lawyers help divide the property accordingly.
In terms of marital assets, a lawyer ensures both parties reveal all the assets honestly. Sometimes, a spouse handled money, leaving others in the dark about the assets and debts. A divorce lawyer tracks down all assets for the settlement is fair. It takes into account whether the state is an equitable distribution state or a community property state.